State Representative Patricia Billie Miller, a Stamford native, was first elected to the Connecticut General Assembly in 2008 to represent Stamford’s 145th Assembly District.
Rep. Miller rose through the leadership ranks and was appointed Deputy Speaker of the House in 2013. Her current positions include Assistant Majority Leader, and House Chair of the Bonding Subcommittee. Rep. Miller serves as a member of the Education Committee, the Judiciary Committee and the Finance, Revenue & Bonding Committee.
Through her tenure in the legislature, Rep. Miller has been a strong advocate for education reforms that help address and improve Connecticut’s education opportunity gap. She has learned and seen firsthand the disproportion of students’ achievements and the role that literacy plays in their success or failure. She believes giving teachers the right tools to help them address disparities is a step in the right direction.
Rep. Miller took the lead in addressing and passing legislation aimed at creating a Reading Readiness Program at the State Department of Education (SDE) that will assess Alliance Districts and Commissioner’s Network Schools to determine if students are reading ready and to provide adequate support to the schools as it relates to performance and needs.
In addition to working on education issues, Rep. Miller has been a strong proponent of campaign finance reform, strengthening domestic violence and consumer protection laws, and has served as a voice for vulnerable communities, advocating for the rights of marginalized groups.
Rep. Miller is proud to have championed a consumer friendly law in 2016 that allows customers to get cash refunds for their unused gift cards as a simple and fair solution when a gift card has less than three dollars remaining.
Prior to her election to the legislature, Rep. Miller spent her professional career in the Affordable Housing industry for over 25 years and served on the Stamford Board of Representatives.
As a member of the Stamford Board of Representatives, Rep. Miller served on the city’s Housing/Community Development/Social Services Committee and Education Committee.
An alumnus of the former Low-Heywood School in Stamford, Rep. Miller attended Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania where she earned a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics.
Awards and Recognitions:
- AARP Legislative Achievement Award
- American Women’s Organization Certificate of Achievement
- Boys and Girls Club of Connecticut Champion of Youth Award
- Connecticut Association for the Gifted, Friend of the Gifted Award in recognition of continued support of CAG’s mission to support and advocate for Connecticut’s gifted, talented, and high-potential children of diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Communications Workers of America, CWA Local 1298 Patron of the People Award
- Recognition by Community Health Center - June 2019 had a common room named after her (Patricia Billie Miller Common Room)
- Connecticut Community Development Association Legislator of the Year Award
- Connecticut Early Childhood Alliance Children’s Champion for her commitment to Connecticut’s young children and for seeking to ensure that all children are healthy, safe and ready for life-long success
- Connecticut’s chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 100 Most Influential Blacks in Connecticut Award
- Certification of Appreciation from Contractors Association – August 2019
- Council of State Governments Henry Tolls Fellow
- William E. Edward Academic College Tour Organization (WEE-Act) Community Award
- Hunt-Kean Leadership Fellow - Class of 2019
- Dr. Joyce Yerwood Community Service Award
- Robert J. Thompson Eastern Leadership Academy - Class of 2018 Alumni
- Stamford Boys & Girls Club Community Champion Award
- Stamford History Center Women Leaders of Tomorrow Award
- Urban League of Southern Connecticut Women of Power Award
- Women's Business Development Council Woman of Influence Award Patricia Billie Miller Award for Outstanding Community Service