Statement on Birch Grove Primary SchoolMarch 4, 2019
As many of you know, the situation at Birch Grove Primary School has grown much more complicated over the past days. As your state representative, I want you to know that I share in your frustration and over the coming months I will be working closely with Superintendent Willett, Town Manager Werbner, the Board of Education and Town Council along with Congressman Courtney at the federal level to better understand not only how we found ourselves in this situation but where we go from here. I’m working hard in Hartford to ensure that Tolland receives the support it needs as we work to find solutions.
I wanted to ensure that you aware of important upcoming opportunities for you to obtain more information, or speak to the General Assembly as they begin to consider legislation surrounding crumbling foundations.
In our community, the superintendent and the Birch Grove Primary Foundation will be holding regular events through the end of the school year:
- Parent/Guardian Informational Meeting with the Superintendent, March 5th at 7:00 p.m., Birch Grove Library, 247 Rhodes Road, Tolland
- BGP Foundation Information Meeting, March 11th at 6:00 p.m., Birch Grove Library
- Town Meeting with School, Town, and State Staff, March 27th at 7:00 p.m., Tolland High School Auditorium, 1 Eagle Hill, Tolland
- Superintendent’s Breakfast, April 1st at 10:00 a.m., Superintendent’s Office, 51 Tolland Green, Tolland
- BGP Foundation Information Meeting, April 8th at 6:00 p.m., Birch Grove Library
- Superintendent’s Breakfast, May 6th at 10:00 a.m., Superintendent’s Office
- BGP Foundation Information Meeting, May 6th at 6:00 p.m., Birch Grove Library
- Superintendent’s Breakfast, June 3rd at 10:00 a.m., Superintendent’s Office
- BGP Foundation Information Meeting, June 10th at 6:00 p.m., Birch Grove Library
If you have any question regarding school-specific issues, please contact the Superintendent’s office at (860) 870-6850. For any questions you may have regarding bonding, resolutions, process, etc., please contact the Town Manager’s office at (860) 871-3600.
In addition to these informational meeting in our community, several bills regarding crumbling foundations will be coming up for public hearings this week on Friday, March 8:
Insurance Committee/ Planning and Development Committee Joint Public Hearing
- HB 5048, An Act Requiring Homeowners Insurance Coverage for the Peril of Collapse and Certain Structural Mitigation
- HB 5852, An Act Concerning a Public-Private Partnership for Crumbling Concrete Foundations and Appropriating Funds for Such Partnership
- HB 5857, An Act Concerning the Healthy Homes Fund Surcharge
- HB 7179, An Act Concerning Crumbling Concrete Foundations
- SB 907, An Act Concerning the Residential Disclosure Report and Crumbling Concrete Foundations
- HB 5702, An Act Concerning Quarry Standards and Testing
- HB 6040, An Act Concerning Transfers of Title to Certain Residential Buildings Situated in Municipalities Impacted by Crumbling Concrete Foundations
- HB 6659, An Act Requiring Sellers of Residential Property to Disclose the presence of Pyrrhotite in Residential Condition Reports
- HB 6750, An Act Expanding the Definition of “Residential Building” in Statutes Providing Assistance
- HB 6349, An Act Concerning the Inclusion of Insurance Policy Information on Certain Certificates of Occupancy
If you’d like to participate by submitting testimony, you may do so in-person or by email. To submit testimony by email, please send a word or PDF document to instestimony.cga.ct.gov. If you would like to come submit testimony in-person before the joint committee, sign-up will be from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the 1st Floor Atrium of the Legislative Office Building (sign-up is on a first come, first served basis).
While we work together to find answers and solutions, please know that you can contact me anytime. You can contact me by email, Pat.WilsonPheanious@cga.ct.gov, or call my office, (860) 240-8370.