Relief For Renters
With everything going on, you should not need to worry about being evicted or struggling to put together money for rent if you are out of work because of the COVID-19 crisis.
At my urging, Governor Lamont issued Executive Order 7X today to provide some relief to renters.
- All landlords are prohibited from issuing a notice to quit or beginning eviction proceedings before July 1, 2020
- For rent due in April 2020, landlords must grant tenants an automatic, 60-day grace period for payment, instead of the existing 9-day grace period
- For rent due in May 2020, landlords must grant a 60-day grace period for payment upon the request of tenants
- A tenant must to notify the landlord that they have lost a job, lost hours, or otherwise lost revenue or faced significant increased expenses as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic
- If a tenant has a paid security deposit of more than one month’s rent, the tenant can apply all or part of that excess to April, May, or June rent.
For the most up-to-date information from the State of Connecticut on COVID-19, including an FAQ and other guidance and resources, visit ct.gov/coronavirus.
Read Governor's press release HERE.