Crime Rate Falls in ConnecticutSeptember 28, 2022
This week, the annual crime statistics report that compiles data on crimes reported to state law enforcement agencies was released, and it shows violent and property crimes are down from the previous year, which preserves Connecticut's status as one of the safest states in the country.
The report shows that between 2020 and 2021, Connecticut saw a reduction of:
- 3% in overall crime
- 9% in violent crime
- 2% in property crimes
Additionally, the data during the last 10 years shows overall crime in the state has fallen 30%, including a 43% reduction in violent crime and a 29% reduction in property crime.
The state budget adjustment bill that we passed during the 2022 legislative session also makes significant investments in crime prevention and reduction, especially involving gun violence, as well as victim services and support to clear backlogged court cases from the pandemic.
The investments include:
- $32 million to speed up the processing of court cases
- $18 million to help victims and survivors recover from crime through safety planning, crisis counseling, mental health treatment, and support for survivors of domestic violence
- $11 million to trace firearms to their sources, reduce stolen cars, reduce violent crime, and promote safety on rural roads
- $8 million for community and public health-led strategies to prevent and reduce gun violence
- $4 million to invest in the latest forensic science technologies to speed up investigations and clear criminal cases
We also recognize that our police and courts need additional tools to hold offenders accountable and protect the public. This session, we passed a law that becomes effective Saturday October 1, which will:
- Toughen penalties for vehicle thefts
- Address lab and case backlogs
- Expand the use of GPS monitoring in some cases
- Provide more hands-on training and crisis training to police
We must focus on further reducing crime by working together with law enforcement and community partners to ensure Connecticut remains one of the safest places to live and work in the country.