Covid-19 Governor's Order for Safe Stores
The Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) has issued simple guidance in both English and Spanish for stores and grocery stores regarding safety measures contained in Governor Lamont's Executive Order 7S.
Governor Lamont’s Executive Order No. 7S Safe stores mandatory statewide rules: Effective upon the opening of each retail establishment for the first time on April 3, 2020, requires every retail establishment to take additional protective measures to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 between and among customers, employees, and other persons such as delivery drivers and maintenance people.
The order requires the commissioner of the DECD to issue mandatory statewide rules prescribing such additional protective measures. Such rules will be mandatory throughout the state and supersede and preempt any current or contemplated municipal order.
Occupancy, store layout, and managing customer flow
- Occupancy capped at 50% of store capacity. At entrance, staff will maintain a count of the number of customers entering and exiting stores.
- Clearly mark 6’ spacing in lines on floor at checkout lines and other high-traffic areas and, as much as practicable, provide ways to encourage 6’ spacing in lines outside the store.
- Post conspicuous signage and floor markings to direct customers and limit bottlenecks and/or encourage spacing and flow in high-density areas.
- Have aisles be one-way in stores where practicable to maximize spacing between customers. Identify the one-way aisles with conspicuous signage and/or floor markings.
- Maximize space between customers and employees at checkout lines, including, but not limited to, only using every other checkout line, where and when possible.
- Install Plexiglas shields to separate employees from customers at checkout lines and other areas in the store where practicable.
- Communicate with customers through in store signage, and public service announcements and advertisements, there should only be one person per household during shopping trips, whenever possible.
- Discontinue all self-serve foods (e.g., salad bar, olive bar) and product sampling.
- Allow “touchless” credit card transactions. If not possible, sanitize credit card machines (including pen) regularly and consistently.
- Cart and basket handles sanitized between uses (by staff).
- Wherever possible, employees will wear gloves and face masks at all times that they are interacting with customers and/or handling products.
Para una lista de Reglas Para Tiendas Seguras En Espanol, siga ESTE ENLACE.