Opposing An Unbalanced Republican BudgetSeptember 19, 2017
Here is what the Republican budget would mean if it became law:
- Tax increases for working families.
- Higher tuition and bigger class sizes at UConn by drastically cutting state support for our flagship university.
- Fewer workforce development programs by cutting the Department of Labor.
- More special interest money in our elections by eliminating the Citizens Election Program.
- Less support for small businesses by cutting or eliminating programs like the Angel Investor Tax Credit.
Thankfully the Governor has already announced he plans to veto this budget, and immediately convene bipartisan negotiations.
We need a budget that will move our state forward, not a political stunt that only has an eye on the 2018 elections. I remain committed to working with everyone to adopt a budget that puts our state on a better and more sustainable long term path.